Representative Gene DiGirolamo, Chairman of the House Human Services Committee, has been the most public champion working to restore human services funding and eliminate the block grant. A final decision regarding the block grant and the level of funding will likely be made in the next ten days to two weeks, so it is time for a last push. To successfully argue his opposition to the block grant and the significant cuts, Rep. DiGirolamo needs specific information from organizations. If your organization is going to be impacted by the funding cuts and the block grant implementation, please write a letter of opposition to Representative DiGirolamo today or by Wednesday, May 30, at the latest.
1. Please address letters to:
Rep. Gene DiGirolamo
Chairman, House Human Services Committee
49 East Wing
Harrisburg, PA 17120
215-750-1295 district office fax
2. E-mail an electronic copy of the letter to Rep. Gene DiGirolamo at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to his district office at 215-750-1295.
3. If you represent a provider or advocacy organization please include information about
- what services you provide, or membership you represent
- which counties you provide services in
- who you provide them to
- how many you serve
- how many employees you have, if applicable.
Address the impact of the cuts and the implementation of the block grant to your organizations. If you are an organization serving people with disabilities and are forced to lay off people with intellectual disabilities or mental illness because of actual or anticipated cuts, please make note of that too.
4. If your organization has organized some kind of petition please to transmit that to Rep. DiGirolamo as well. Any communication from county commissioners who are on record opposing the block grant would also be helpful.
Please encourage other organizations to join us in this effort. Feel free to distribute this information.