MHAPA has an opening for an External Advocate at Norristown State Hospital.
External Advocates are independent advocates that provide assistance and support to individuals receiving services at this state operated mental health facility. The position is full time but two individuals sharing the position and responsibilities would also be considered.
The responsibilities for the position are to:
- Ensure the fundamental rights of the individual receiving services in the state operated facility.
- Help individuals and their families with questions, concerns, and complaints regarding hospital care and treatment.
- Help resolve concerns and complaints.
- Work with individuals and others, including local/regional mental health offices and county providers, to facilitate community living.
- Refer individuals to an attorney or agency that provides legal advocacy.
- Assist with questions about benefit programs and concerns regarding employment.
- Provide technical assistance and education regarding rights to individuals, their families and the hospital staff.
The ideal candidate will have advocacy experience, knowledge about the PA mental health system, reporting, organizational and data entry skills. A college degree or a combination of education and experience is required. We are an affirmative action employer— individuals of color, women, and individuals with lived experience are encouraged to apply.
Please email resume and salary requirements by February 15, 2016 to:
External Advocate Search (subject line)
Or mail them to:
External Advocate Search
4105 Derry Street, Lower Level
Harrisburg, PA 17111