External Advocates are independent advocates who provide assistance and support to individuals receiving services at a state operated mental health facility. The open position is located at Norristown State Hospital, Norristown, PA. The position entails the following responsibilities:
- Ensure the fundamental rights of the individual receiving services in the state operated facility.
- Help individuals and their families with questions, concerns, and complaints regarding hospital care and treatment.
- Help resolve concerns and complaints.
- Work with individuals and others, including local/regional mental health offices and county providers, to facilitate community living.
- Assist with questions about benefit programs and concerns regarding employment.
- Provide technical assistance and education regarding rights to individuals, their families and the hospital staff.
The position is full-time but two individuals sharing the position and responsibilities would also be considered.
The ideal candidate will have advocacy experience, knowledge about the PA mental health system, reporting, organizational and data entry skills. A college degree or a combination of education and experience is required.
We are an affirmative action employer—individuals of color, women, and individuals with lived experience are encouraged to apply.
Please email resume and salary requirements to External Advocate Search (subject line) at email@example.com.
Or mail to:
External Advocate Search
4105 Derry Street, Lower Level
Harrisburg, PA 17111