Mental Health Association in Pennsylvania (MHAPA)
MHAPA, a nonprofit organization that reflects the ethnic and cultural diversity of the Commonwealth, works on behalf of the mental health of its citizens, instilling principles that facilitate recovery and resiliency of individuals and their families, through advocacy, education, and public policy.
MHAPA is a statewide, proactive organization seeking to promulgate the best practices and standards of excellence for achieving the ultimate goal of a just, humane, and healthy society, in which all people are accorded respect, dignity, choices, and the opportunity to achieve their full potential free from stigma and prejudice. As an Affiliate membership organization, MHAPA acts as an information conduit for its affiliates, a technical assistance provider, a liaison with government officials and stakeholders, and a grassroots legislative advocate. MHAPA values:
- The recovery and resiliency of individuals and their families through effective methods and services, research, prevention, identification, and diagnosis;
- Improved attitudes around mental health;
- A system of treatment and services that reflects and respects the cultural and ethnic backgrounds of the people it serve;
- Protection of consumer and civil rights and the elimination of stigma and discrimination;
- Effective mental health advocacy in local communities, the health care industry, and government bodies, businesses, and other institutions;
- Promoting public awareness.